Friday, August 22

I Think This Is Jiawei's Last Olympics



Link to AsiaOne Report

China's Guo defeats Jiawei to win bronze in table tennis

She held off local paddler Li for a 11-6, 14-12, 9-11, 7-11, 11-3 11-4 victory. -AFP Fri, Aug 22, 2008 AFP

BEIJING, Aug 22, 2008 (AFP) - China's Guo Yue won bronze in the women's singles table tennis Friday, defeating Singapore's Li Jia Wei 4-2.

The win hands China a clean sweep of the medals in the women's singles, with her teammates, defending champion Zhang Yining and veteran Wang Nan, battling for gold later Friday.

"It's not easy to win this bronze. Even though I lost to sister Nan (Wang Nan) this morning, I am still very happy to win this bronze because it's the first time I participated in women's singles," Guo said of her semi-final loss.

The 20-year-old world champion also won gold in the team event in Beijing, and bronze in doubles in Athens.

Li, 27, was in tears after the match, saying she desperately wanted to win another medal for Singapore, after helping secure the city state's first Olympic medal in 48 years, winning silver in the team event.

"It's a shame I lost. It was my last match today and I really wanted to win a medal for Singapore. I am very sad. Singapore cheered for me. But I gave my all," said Li, who left Beijing to play for Singapore as a teenager.

The loss left Li in fourth place in the singles competition for the second Olympics in a row, after she failed to clinch bronze in the playoff in Athens.

Guo won the first two games before the world number six came storming back with some aggressive play to level the match.

The Chinese number two stepped up the tempo to take the next game easily and held off Li for an 11-6, 14-12, 9-11, 7-11, 11-3 11-4 victory.

No comments: