Sunday, April 13

The Seven "I AM"

Jesus said ‘I am’ on seven occasions. Each ‘I am’ is a description Jesus gave of Himself and is recorded in John’s Gospel. The Seven ‘I am’ sayings help us better understand the divinity of Jesus Christ.

1. Bread
"I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:35 (NIV)

2. Light
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 (NIV)

3. Gate
"I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture." John 10:9 (NIV)

4. Good Shepherd
"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." John 10:11 (NIV)

5. Resurrection and Life
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies" John 11:25 (NIV)

6. Way, Truth, Life
"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 (NIV)

7. True vine
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener." John 15:1 (NIV)

The divinity of Jesus Christ is further illustrated in John 8:58. Jesus said, "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!", which means that Jesus existed before His human life on earth.

John 8:58 Or before Abraham was even born, I have always been alive; Greek reads before Abraham was, I am. See Exod 3:14.

No comments: